Records Management Problems
Records Management Problems can be challenging and often don’t get much thought.
What exactly are the problems with In-House Records Management?
Many companies think using a records management company is “wasted revenue”. Some even think it’s “dead money” or feel it is an “exuberant thing to have”.
But opinions quickly change when the benefits of using a records management company are explained.
It’s often small to medium-sized companies that store their records on-site. Some even store them in one of the “Big Yellow” type storage units.
Businesses often don’t consider the space the items can take up. Furthermore, the time and resources needed to find unsorted items is also overlooked.
These are two significant expenses to a business that spends precious time and space on unorganised records. Time and organisation are incremental expenses to the company.
We have seen offices that have filled entire rooms with boxes. Because of this, they then filled corridors to such an extent they blocked off all fire escape routes.
Whilst they might be saving a few pennies, they will not save lives should the unthinkable happen.
Solving these problems has great benefits;
- Storing your records in another building ensures your office is tidy and free from trip hazards and keeps fire routes clear.
- Your business can take back some much-needed office space.
- Records Management space is cheaper than office space. Per Square meter, you save money.
- You know exactly where your records are and can locate them fast.
- Staff time to find records and on-site storage costs are a fraction of doing it yourself.
With the new EU GDPR (general data protection regulation) now fully in place, it is a good idea for the specialists to look after your documents. It’s what we do.
Why would you let SMB fix your records storage problems?
- All boxes of records that are taken into storage have an external ID. An alternative code is written outside of a box related to your own filing system.
- All external ID’s (Your Ref). are captured and assigned to a barcode on the box. Should you need it back, just call or e-mail us and it gets delivered. No wasted time searching through stacks of boxes.
- We catalogue your files, so you don’t have to ask for the whole box. This takes up less space in your office if you require multiple files back.
- SMB Records Management are up to 70% cheaper than some self-storage units as our minimal storage charge is exactly that, minimal!
- We can highlight when the boxes are to be reviewed for destruction. This saves you the worry of remembering or leaving them in a storage unit and paying for the space that you no longer need.
- When the boxes need to be destroyed, you do not have to search around for a company to do it. At SMB, our Secure shredding is done per the EN BS 15713 standard.