5 steps how can SMB help you move in the right direction towards the GDPR
There are still companies that have not really considered the GDPR, but when it comes down to it, you will find that without knowing it, they probably are already doing some of the processes that the GDPR imposes.
There was and still are a lot of scaremongering companies, trying to make a pretty penny on the back of the GDPR.
So, we got to and past the 25th of May 2019 and nothing really happened. Companies were not shut down because they did not comply.
However, is this really what the ICO are about?
The ICO is not about shutting all companies down because they had not completed any of the new processes. They will advise you on how to improve your processes to become compliant, and only then if you are not complying they may become a little more heavy-handed.
The 25th of May was not a deadline but more of a start date.
Don’t get me wrong we still need to look at our processes when it comes to data protection, and if you do have a data breach you will still be levied a fine, that is proportionate to your company’s earnings, and if you are seen to have done absolutely nothing about the protection of your data the fine would possibly be higher, but not the millions that everyone was shouting about.
It is going to take a couple of years to get everything in place and running correctly.
So how can SMB assist you in the journey to becoming compliant? Below are 5 simple steps we can provide to help you move in the right direction.
- A high percentage of companies still use paper documents as they have to hold onto them for legal reasons, yet they have no real details of what they are holding in their boxes or where to find the wanted box. They can waste valuable resource time searching for documents over and over again. SMB can store your boxes away in our secure facility. We can assist in indexing/cataloguing of the contents. This can be completed at either box or file level with each item receiving it’s own unique code. We can add end dates to your documents to help you understand when they become redundant and can be destroyed. This keeps your storage costs to a minimum.
- SMB has a secure holding facility. Your boxes would be stored at a fraction of the cost of the office space they are consuming or the cost of a self-store facility. This also gives you space back in your office to utilise in a more cost-effective way. This will also ensure restricted access to the documents by unauthorised personnel. The documents are held in the right condition, not in damp basements where the paperwork can become rotten and mouldy. Documents in this condition would never stand up in court.
- A secure delivery method would also keep you informed of when and who has requested a file. Keeping track of your files is also very important. You don’t want important, sensitive data falling into the wrong hands. This would be classed as a breach and your company could end up with a fine which equals 4% of your annual turn over and no one wants that.
- We carry out a secure and confidential shredding process for all redundant documents that are no longer needed. We can offer a secure shredding service to your home or office. Lockable consoles can be added to your office or home keep any discarded documents out of sight from unwanted eyes. They also keep your office tidy as there are no discarded pieces of paper floating around.
- SMB offer digital scanning of your documents. If you are looking to make the transition to a digital repository of your own of managed for you, we can provide a secure process that would suit your needs.
If you or you know of anyone that could benefit from our support then please do get in touch. We are always here to help
SMB Records Management – Safeguarding what is important to you
Website – www.smbrecordsmanagement.co.uk
E-mail – firstname.lastname@example.org